Who is Melanie O’Brien
London is such a vibrant city and I am proud to call it home. Living in the east end with my partner, Bob, and my two children, Austin and Madison, we love the community and the opportunities that we have available to us here. As a family, we love the outdoors, and frequently you will find us riding our bikes around London or hiking one of many beautiful nature spots, and making use out of the paved trails throughout London.
When I was young, I attended Clarke Road Secondary and my first job was at Gibraltar Trade Centre; I can remember spending endless summers as a child playing and in the Thames River, camping at the Fanshawe Conservation Area; attending the amazing festivals held in Victoria Park, and then in the fall going each year to the Western Fair. And now I get to share these wonderful memories and experiences with my children, my family and my neighbours.
I am passionate about helping people, and am so fortunate to be able to do this professionally through advocacy and casework as a community assistant to the federal Member of Parliament, Irene Mathyssen. For the past eight years, I have worked hard for the people in London-Fanshawe, which includes Ward 1, in Irene’s office. The time I have spent working with Irene has been rewarding; she has shown me what a strong and progressive leader can do to better her community.
I also believe in the power of volunteers and give much of my spare time to various community organizations. I am so proud to be an active member of my community and to help it to thrive and prosper. Some of my involvement includes:
- East London Optimists – Canada Day Volunteer
- Argyle BIA – Santa Parade Committee
- Elder Abuse London Middlesex – Executive Member & Presenter
- Parent Engagement – Committee Member for Thames Valley District School Board
- Community Volunteer Income Tax Program – at both MP Mathyssen’s office and Crouch Library Tax Clinics – Coordinator for the London Seniors’ tax service (home-bound program)
- JP Robarts Public School – Grad Committee Member & parent volunteer
- Clarke Road – Home & School Member
- Navy League Cadets – Executive Member (past)
- London Youth for Vimy – Member
- Sexual Assault Centre London – Crisis Line Volunteer (past)
- And I have donated my time to many other activities like serving hospitality meals at the church, blood donor drives and fundraising campaigns for various causes.
Why Ward 1
I want to represent Ward 1 because this community is my past, present and future. I have grown up here, I am raising my children here, I live here, I work here, I play here, and I shop here. I see the amazing potential of our area. But I also strongly believe that Ward 1 has been neglected for too long by City Council – and that is unacceptable. Too often, our area does not receive necessary funding for community improvement projects and the infrastructure opportunities we do receive are far less effective than they could be. This needs to change and I want to be a strong advocate that brings that change for the workers, seniors, students and taxpayers of
Help me bring your voice to City Hall.